Saturday, September 10, 2005

Verdict Overturned.

So I worked hard on my bloodsugar control. Tested pretty constantly. Blew through about a bottle of strips every two days or so.

And I went to the gym. Nothing outrageous and I am by no means a certified professional (as exhibited by my wardrobe's lack of pink sweatpants), but I went. And went consistently, save for the car accident fiasco.

I saw my doctor, too, and determined that my blood pressure is just too high for a diabetic. And since I'm not overweight and still relatively young, medication was deemed the appropriate treatment method. Altace 2.5 mg became a part of my daily routine.

And I talked about it. I told you guys. I told my patient and ever-supportive boyfriend. I talked about it with my mom. My friends learned alongside me. Talking helped to alleviate my fear. Conversations confirmed that I wasn't alone and I never would be.

Now I can happily report that, after my eye exam and full dilation yesterday afternoon, that my eyesight is better than 20/20 and that little bastard of a cotton wool spot is gone. I'm back to "IDDM, Uncomplicated."

Tomorrow marks nineteen years that I've been a diabetic.

An uncomplicated one.

Sometimes you just can't win.

And sometimes ... you can.

12 Comments:

At September 10, 2005 5:13 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Awesome news!!

Kerri, reading this post just moved me to tears... I am so dang happy for you.

Well done!!

 
At September 10, 2005 7:57 PM, Anonymous AmyT said...

Bravo, Kerri!!

This is the BEST NEWS ever -- for you and for all of us.

And my mommy guilt about all those mornings at the gym away from my kids is somewhat alleviated; it really does make a difference.

Congrats!

 
At September 11, 2005 9:44 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

You're awesome. I'm using you as an example for my son so that he can see that taking care of yourself pays off!

It's great that the cotton wool spot is reversable.

Great job!

 
At September 11, 2005 10:20 AM, Blogger d double e said...

Happy 19! What an incredible way to "celebrate." Thanks for the wonderful news. Give yourself at lesat 19 hugs today (and give your mom a few too!)

Dee

 
At September 11, 2005 8:43 PM, Anonymous Nicole said...

Congratulations, Kerri! Best of health to you -- some more.

 
At September 12, 2005 9:20 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Yay yay yay! That's fabulous news Kerri. Great job!

- t

 
At September 12, 2005 9:55 AM, Blogger mytime79 said...

That's really great. I'm very happy for you!! Very encouraging.

 
At September 12, 2005 3:32 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Congrats Kerri! I've been visiting your blog ever since you signed mine (which I thank you so much for - your words brought tears to my eyes - in a good way! LOL). Way to go and I'm so happy to hear that you are still UNCOMPLICATED! :)

Take care.

 
At September 12, 2005 8:24 PM, Anonymous tiffany said...

FANTASTIC Kerri! Couldn't have any better news than that! :)

 
At September 13, 2005 3:37 PM, Anonymous IamBatman said...

YIPPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At September 14, 2005 11:41 AM, Blogger Martha O'Connor said...

Great news about your eyesight! YAY YOU!! XOX

 
At November 27, 2005 12:09 PM, Blogger Violet said...

Ahhhh.

Among various adjectives I'd have to apply to the past few months, "fearful" is near the top of the list. Fearful in lots of ways and too controlled by that feeling.

I've been mindful of that spot of yours during my time away from the O.C. Thought about you a lot. So when I came back here at last, I went straight to the September archives. Scanned nervously. And here you are. You are fine.

You are fine! The right words fail me. You worked hard and you did it. Yet I'm struck even in this moment of joy by the capriciousness of the disease. Had you worked just as hard but not gotten the result we all hoped for, I believe you would be meeting that challenge with all the courage and strength of character you've shared with us these past months. Somehow it seems important to know that, even as I celebrate with you (most belatedly) your success. The thing wouldn't own you, either way, know what I mean?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home