Monday, February 06, 2006

Part Two: The ship.

Palm trees? In January?

My humble Rhode Island self could barely conceptualize the idea.

We rounded the bend after passing Star Island and saw the massive cruise ship docked in the Miami harbor: The Fascination.

“Oh my goodness, Chris! That ship is huge! We’re going on that? We’re really going on it? For a whole week??”

Kenny, who lives in Miami and is a friend of Chris’s, laughed as he drove us closer towards the ship.

“I take it you’ve never been on a cruise before.”

For those of you who have had the luxury of cruising before, forgive me for sounding so excited about it but that ship was the most incredible thing I had ever seen. Ten decks, two pools, a waterslide, bars, dance clubs, hot tubs, a gym, dining rooms, and countless state rooms! I was amazed at the most trivial of things: the super magnets that held the bathroom door opened when the ship tossed a bit, the fact that room service really would show up at four in the morning with a Portobello mushroom sandwich if you asked them to, and the towel animals.

Ah, the towel animals. Chris told me that the housekeeping services would make animals out of the towels, but I wasn’t sure. Sounded complicated. And kind of messy. But the first afternoon, upon our return from dinner, I opened the door to see a dog crafted entirely out of white bath towels, sitting on the bed.

“Chris! Look at that!”

I think he got more out of watching me enjoy everything than he did out of the actual cruise itself.

Every time I went back into the stateroom, I would open the door oh so slowly, just in case there was a towel animal peeking at me from the bed. I definitely bought the book on how to make the little buggers. I plan on making every towel in the apartment into an elephant, a dog, a hanging monkey, or maybe even Voltron.

The food was incredible. Wearing my pump was truly the best course of action, as bolusing for some of these meals was tricky. A two hour dinner of stuffed mushrooms, filet, fresh fruit, escargot, stuffed chicken, vegetables smothered in butter sauce, and decadent desserts would not have fared as well were it not for the grace of the Extended Bolus.

And my diabetes remained quiet, for the most part. The insulin flowed freely and my sugars didn’t crest above 230 mg/dl or below 60 mg/dl (not bad for excessive eating and drinking).

Except for Wednesday. When we were snorkeling in a cavern in Cozumel, Mexico, miles from the ship and my insulin pump.

But that’s a story for tomorrow.

Until then, enjoy a picture of Chris and I at the first dinner night, with our mariachi pal.

Tomorrow --> Part Three: Mayhem in Mexico

8 Comments:

At February 06, 2006 4:35 PM, Anonymous Zazzy said...

Sounds like an incredible amount of fun. Congratulations on the plane ride! I love flying so I hope you have now conquered all your fears. The ship sounds wonderful - please tell us more. I've always thought it sounded so crazy and crowded that I've been afraid to even consider it since I really don't like crowds. I look forward to hearing more and more!

 
At February 06, 2006 6:16 PM, Anonymous mary ellen said...

I just went on my first cruise in December and I still miss it!!
We went on Royal Carib. and they had the towels too. I was in awe of them too! I laughed when I read your post - looking forward to more cruise stories!
By the way, did your body still feel ' at sea' for a few days after you got home?
That was weird!

 
At February 06, 2006 8:59 PM, Anonymous Kathleen Weaver said...

Sounds like you have a super successful trip.

I want to learn how to make elephant towels!

 
At February 07, 2006 12:05 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

I felt like I was "at sea" up until today. And we came home on Friday. Going to the gym on Saturday was a complete adventure and I was pretty sure I was going to lurch off the elliptical machine. Chris lifting weights ... complete chaos.

And I'm going to post a How To on the towel animals. Those dang things are amazing.

 
At February 07, 2006 10:04 AM, Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Towel animals, I didn't know there was such a thing. Impressive!

You guys are a cute couple. :)

tek

 
At February 07, 2006 3:06 PM, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Indeed, I am *loving* the towel animals! Thanks for the photo and the update and you guys look super happy to boot!

 
At February 07, 2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

I'm loving the chapters of the story of your cruise! You and the boy make such an adorable couple - I can't wait to see more pics and hear more stories.

Now I want to go on a cruise!

 
At February 07, 2006 5:11 PM, Anonymous Cin said...

Wow Kerri. Sounds like you and Chris had a great time. I am soo jealous.
I have to agree with the others. You and Chris make a great looking couple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home