Monday, April 24, 2006

Aviva Aviva, Un-Delay!

Woke up late.

Not good on Important Meeting Adventure Day, so I rolled immediately out of bed and began the morning ritual: Test bloodsugar, toss the cats off my legs, kiss Chris's shoulder, stumble into the bathroom, take a hot shower, and read one of his fitness magazines while I blowdry my hair (Today I learned about the omega-3 benefits of walnuts and what the best kind of boxer briefs are).

Iron clothes. Dress in a hurry. Haphazardly toss necessary items into my purse. Recover the tube of lip gloss from Siah's meddling little paws. Throw in a bottle of juice and some emergency crackers. Grab my kit and ...

"Where is my kit?"

I knew I had my kit earlier when I tested first thing this morning. I checked under the bedside table - no kit. I looked on the bathroom cabinet, where a collection of pump caps sit in a soap dish and assorted lotions stand at rapt attention. No kit. I looked in the walk in closet, just to make sure I didn't have it in my hand when I grabbed my shoes. No kit.

Chris had already left for work so every light in the bedroom was on. Relatively clean, I couldn't see anything out of place. The closets were neat and the bed was made. Everything appeared to be in it's place.

Checked my purse, just in case I was ridiculously remiss and didn't notice my kit in there in the first place. No kit.

"Where the hell did I put that stupid thing??" Getting mad now. The time to leave was rapidly ticking closer and I knew I had to have it before I left the house. Checked the fridge, knowing that I put the remote control and my car keys in there by mistake before. Systematically trashed the entire bedroom, rummaging under the bed, opening dresser drawers and yanking out the contents,

No kit.
Throwing my hands into the air in complete frustration, I grabbed my back up kit from the closet. I received it as a demo from Roche: an Accu-Chek Aviva. Feeling kind of crummy and potentially low, I opened the box for the first time and assembled the new kit. The black zipper case was crunchy and stiff from lack of use. After coding the machine, I reached for the lancet device that came with it.

Diabetic for 19 years, I figured that I would be able to load the thing up and test my bloodsugar without much of an issue. I've used countless meters and pricking devices. Surely this one would be a snap, right?

I could not have been more wrong.

Couldn't assemble that frigging thing to save my life. I couldn't get the cap off. I couldn't fit the drum inside neatly. I actually had to bust out the instruction manual an even then, I couldn't figure it out. Nothing clicked to let me know it was in place. The barrel of the device kept rotating and my only response was to curse at it.

Then, like the cryptex from The DaVinci Code, the cylinder lined up. The barrel clicked into place. The device deployed and pricked the top of my knuckle by accident.

"[insert blasphemous curse word]!!" Flinging the blue MultiClix across the room, I grabbed a lancet from my stash and manually pricked my finger tip. The AccuChek Aviva flashed me an hourglass, then a "113 mg/dl".

"Meow?" Abby was standing on the edge of the bed, pawing at something.

I threw the Aviva into my purse and grabbed my keys.

"Meow?" A little more insistently this time. She was nudging something under the blankets with her enormous paw.

"Abby, what is the problem? What are you sniffing around at? I'm late for my meeting, I can't find my stupid kit, and now I'm having an animated conversation with my fat cat..."

I reached over and pulled back the covers of the neatly made bed to reveal my kit, lying flush against the sheets.

Mocking me.

"Meow." Smuggly purring, Abby retired to the couch.

21 Comments:

At April 25, 2006 6:13 AM, Blogger Johnboy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At April 25, 2006 6:15 AM, Blogger Johnboy said...

I cracked up out loud as I was muching a walnut and sipping a cup of coffee while reading your blog this morning!

I have suffered the "where's my kit?" conundrum more than once!

As for the MultiClix, it is my preferred device. Once you get the drum in, you are set for quite some time. Feeling adventurous? Give 'er another try. ;)

 
At April 25, 2006 7:45 AM, Blogger Kieran said...

What a brilliant cat!

 
At April 25, 2006 8:19 AM, Blogger art-sweet said...

As you know Kerri, I'm so been-there-done-that with the where the hell is my (fill in the blank).

But I have to confess.
I want to trade cats.

Mine actively hides the things I need to get out of the house in the morning.

Speaking of which...

 
At April 25, 2006 8:28 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I think someone should write in to The Letterman Show about your cat and have it do amazing diabetes tricks.

Is this the same cat that detects lows? I get your cats mixed up.

 
At April 25, 2006 8:36 AM, Blogger Megan said...

Lol, you made me laugh this morning.

The multiclix kicks butt as far as lancing devices come, once you get used to it. But it is a change.

 
At April 25, 2006 9:05 AM, Blogger LaLa said...

I can definitely relate to this! During college and during my student teaching experience, I didn't realize I had forgotten my meter until lunchtime. I had only been diabetic about 1 1/2 years, so I was in a complete panic! Luckily a roommate was home and could bring my meter to me so that I could eat lunch. Apparently, the meter had slipped out of my purse that morning when I laid it on the floor and I didn't realize it.

I still have moments of panic where I have to check my purse to see if everything is really there! I think I'm developing OCD because I have to check at least 5 times before I can leave for work, and then on the way to work I rip my purse open at least once just to be sure... because it might have miracuously disappeared as I walked from my bedroom to my garage....!!! Oiy...!

 
At April 25, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

I'm still not sold on the whole MultiClix thing. It is resting on the top of my computer keyboard at the moment, eyeing me suspiciously.

And Shannon, let me break it down for you, on a feline level.

Abby: My 10 year old cat. She is a calico weighing in at close to 16 lbs. Her hobbies include waking me up when I'm low, leaving tumbleweeds of fur everywhere, and being fat.

Siah: Aka "The Sausage." She is barely a year old, weighing in at 4 lbs plus whatever license plates or jewelry she's happened to consume that day. Her hobbies include annoying me, annoying Chris, and hanging out in the bathroom. She's the gray one.

 
At April 25, 2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Nicole P said...

Love that cat.

Hope your meeting went well.

Talk later.

 
At April 25, 2006 10:17 AM, Blogger Nicole P said...

Wait, isn't there one more cat?

 
At April 25, 2006 10:22 AM, Blogger Kerri. said...

Good eye, Nicole.

Prussia the Cat: Also known as "Cat." She is the outdoor one of the trio and spends her days killing birds, bunnies, and dodging cars. Her hobbies include drooling when she's excited, yelling at the door, and jumping up on Chris while he's trying to write.

I'm developing the trading cards this afternoon. :)

 
At April 25, 2006 10:39 AM, Blogger Maura said...

I've found my meter on the blankets so many times. I get even more scared when I can't locate my pump after taking a shower. It too is often found under the blankets.d

 
At April 25, 2006 10:59 AM, Blogger E said...

Sometimes I come home from work and can't find my cat. After a couple of hours I'll go looking for her- and I eventually find her in the bed "lying flush against the sheets- Mocking me."

It is truly amazing how she has the ablity to spread out her 15lbs of cat so that she is not a giant mound in the bed. She makes herself completely undetectable to the human eye.

BTW- I am now too one of those Multiclix converts- give it another try.

 
At April 25, 2006 11:14 AM, Blogger Kelsey said...

I get that panicky "where's my kit" feeling almost daily because my black book bag and black purse both camoflauge my black kit! I have to take a deep breath and feeling around the bottom of the bag slowly and it's always there!

 
At April 25, 2006 1:06 PM, Blogger cHoCoMiLkRoCkS said...

I spent ages the other morning looking for my pump. found it in my knicker drawer, still have NO idea how or why I put it there. KRAZY.... I have a multiclix thing.

vic

 
At April 25, 2006 3:14 PM, Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

Yeah. I got so tired of this--plus dragging myself downstairs at night if I thought I was going low, or dragging myself upstairs from the kitchen if I wanted a snack--that I got myself three testers, all use the same strips. One lives in the kitchen. One lives on my nightstand. One lives in my purse. I figure the actual kits are cheap enough that I could afford to get more than one and save myself the hassle of the perennial meter hunt.

Is that an option for you?

 
At April 25, 2006 3:51 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

That was a hoot. Next time my son asks if I saw his meter, I'll suggest he ask our three cats!
:-).

 
At April 25, 2006 4:30 PM, Anonymous Caro said...

Another one to add to the list of reasons why I must get another cat. Sadly though the list will just get longer until I live somewhere a little more suitable. *Sigh* I must live my cat owner life vicariously through you!

As for the Multiclix... just imagine Lancet Changing Day only coming once every THREE years. The other ones just require a twist of the drum. (Is Caro's way of sheepishly admitting that she probably couldn't set up a Multiclix if need be, despite having used one for months. I've fallen back into a terrible reuse habit!) As I remember it isn't the easiest to set up first time, but it is a great device.

 
At April 27, 2006 9:58 AM, Blogger jjholz said...

i have really enjoyed reading your blog...you are a very intriguing writer...i just added your blog as a link on mine...just thought i would let you know!!

 
At April 29, 2006 12:31 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

our cats only play with used test strips and syringe caps, as I said recently. They don't hide anything, as much as the husband would like to believe they do when he can't find what he needs. Haa, seriously, he keeps a good eye on the glucose meter and insulin stash - it's all about not being able to see the butter, mayonnaise, hot sauce right in front of his face in the fridge. ;)

 
At July 23, 2007 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The main thing I note with my cats is pump tubing chewed because it is tasty and delicious. One of my cats is very much in appearance like the Sausage but is a year old and 8 lbs in weight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home